Sunday, April 12, 2009

Connecting With People The Old Way

As much as social networking has taken over our society and helped us connect to the rest of the world, it has also hindered and changed our effectiveness when it comes to networking. Most people now rely solely on networking online and searching for jobs online instead of trying to meet people face to face which is the old school and most effective way to gain favor from people.
I"’m getting a LOT of chats from people who have been laid off. Most of the time I find that they just aren’t presenting a good face to me for me to help them find a new job. If you are laid off, here’s what you need to do." Robert Scoble


During my second year in undergraduate school I started applying for internships online and applied to quite a number of internships online. I got some responses to some and went for interviews. Others never called back. One of the companies that turned me down gave me an offer after I went to a networking event, met some of their representatives, interacted with them and called them back after i got back. A couple of days later, I got a call back from the same company that I had applied to several times before and the difference was because I had actually met some of their representatives face to face and made an impression.


"Old School" Networking is a technique we should not shy away or try to move away from because it has proven to be the most effective way of making your mark and landing the best jobs in the corporate world. It is important that people have that face to face, one on one human connection. "3. Connect with the person directly-Social media has broken down barriers, to a point where you can message someone you aren’t friends with and don’t have contact information for, without any hassles. Before you message a target employee, realize that they receive messages from people asking for jobs all the time and that they might not want to be bothered on Facebook, where their true friends are. As long as you’ve done your homework on the company and them, tailor a message that states who you are and your interest, without asking for a job at first. Get to know them and then by the 3rd or 4th messages, ask if there is an available opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. I really don't think it's the case that "Most people now rely solely on networking online and searching for jobs online instead of trying to meet people face to face."

    I wrote a post on this a while back that referenced your blog.

    In terms of general internet use, there's good evidence that online supplements, rather than replaces, interaction in person.

    Maybe when it comes to networking and job-searching, things are wildly different. But I don't think so. That hasn't been my experience and I haven't seen any data that supports that conclusion.

    Here's my post on the subject: http://walterfrick.blogspot.com/2009/03/online-or-in-person-we-can-and-do-have.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in total agreement with you that our world has become hyperconnected and we expect near instant results with mediums like social networking. Whatever happened to the good old phone call? Or even better... a mailed handwritten letter?!?!

    Social networking has been great for finding friends and keeping up with them and sometimes you can do informal networking. But nothing will replace the face to face interaction time with meeting someone. I don't think that will ever get old or replaced...

    ReplyDelete